Norfolk RCC has merged with WNVCA to form Community Action Norfolk. To contact us please call 01362 698216 or visit our new website

Community Buildings Bookmark and Share

From Norfolk RCC

Jump to: navigation, search
Hevingham Village Hall
Norfolk Rural Community Council uniquely in the county offers an advisory and support service specifically tailored for village halls and community buildings. This service draws on the support of the countrywide village hall advisers network and the ACRE village hall information service.


What is a Community Building?

Over the years community buildings have gone by many names the most familiar is that of village hall but others include community centre, parish hall or reading room.

Although definitions can always be argued over we will always keep an open mind. Our general approach is that a community building is any building that is used as its primary purpose for the general benefit of the community.

What’s covered in the advisory service?

  • Constitutions and governance
  • Legislation and trustee responsibilities
  • Energy usage
  • Funding
  • Consultation and developing your building

Our community buildings advisors may signpost to other members of the NRCC team or to other organisations if they think they will be better able to meet your needs.

Quotes from Community Hall Managers

Keith Saxton – Rockland St Mary Parish Hall

“Our hall is small but very important to the community. Without the help of NRCC we would not have achieved success with lottery funding. The application forms are so daunting to start with but seeking the advice and support from NRCC gave us the confidence to proceed. Now we have a fabulous little hall”

Calvin Goreham – Wacton Village Hall

“We are extremely grateful to NRCC for providing the information that we needed to plan our project and to access funds. We have started the process of transforming our hall into a modern space for local activities”

What can’t we do?

Unfortunately at the moment we are unable to offer specific legal advice or technical structural information. We are looking at this and are always able to signpost to other organisations.

Who is it available to?

Any community building in the county of Norfolk is eligible for advice. There are no membership requirements and no fees.

Great! Who do I call?

For ease of administration the community buildings work is divided on a district basis please contact the Development Officer for your area

All Development Officers can be reached through the main office number 01362 698216

Breckland- Barry Duffin -

Broadland- Henry Meiklejohn -

Grt Yarmouth- Charlotte Stannard -

West Norfolk - Barry Duffin -

South Norfolk - Henry Meiklejohn -

North Norfolk - Office -

More information for community buildings

As well as our support serviecs this site contains specific pages with information for those running community buildings. There are also a number of community buildings that use this site to post information about their activities or contact details.

Personal tools